Conditions of Bus Travel & Safety Requirements
Dromana College is serviced by buses.
- When catching the bus in the morning you are expected to wait safely at the bus stop and not approach your bus until it has stopped
- Your driver will let you off your bus in the College bus park
- At the end of the day you should walk to the bus park and only get on your bus when your driver says you can
- You must walk on the paths in the bus car park
- When getting off the bus at your stop do not cross the road until the bus has left
- For reasons of safety and the good reputation of the College, you must behave sensibly when waiting for and travelling on the bus
- You must remain in your seat at all times. The driver is in charge and must not be distracted
- Any damage done to the bus must be paid for within 14 days or you will not be allowed to travel on the bus until the damage is paid for
- If your behaviour is unsatisfactory the driver will contact the Assistant Principals and bus travel will be restricted
- NO BUS PASSES are issued for students going to friends, after school employment or sport
- Students who have dual family arrangements will be catered for and may travel when necessary
To ensure the safety of all passengers on school buses at all times, students must agree to the following conditions.
- At the bus-stop do not play on the road or try to get on the bus before it has stopped.
- Make sure you and your belongings are inside the bus at all times.
- Do not throw anything from a bus window or have anything hanging out a window.
- Place bags and other belongings in the allocated storage areas.
- Get on and off the bus quietly and in an orderly manner.
- Stay in your seat while the bus is moving.
- Do not distract drivers with screaming, shouting or unruly behaviour.
- When you get off the bus only cross the road when the bus has left and it is safe to do so.
- No dangerous or flammable goods are allowed on the bus, for example aerosol cans.
- Seat belts must be worn where fitted.
To ensure passengers are considerate to one another and their bus driver, students must agree to:
- In the morning, arrive at the bus-stop 10 minutes prior to departure.
- Do not eat or drink while on the school bus.
- In the morning, let the school and driver know if you will not be riding home on the bus that day.
- Get on the bus service allocated to you. Do not change to one that will take you to a sports or social event.
- Use a standard conversational tone and do not call out to others on board or to passing traffic or people.
- Listen to the bus driver and bus captain they are responsible for maintenance of the school bus
- Safety and also have the authority to report any misbehaviour or vandalism.
- If you ride a bike or scooter to the bus-stop, please leave it in a safe and secure place. The Department of Transport and the Department of Education and Training are unable to accept responsibility for the safety of your bike or scooter.
- Behaving inappropriately on a school bus places the safety and wellbeing of all on board at risk.
Non-compliance with any of the above conditions may result in the following:
- The driver will stop the bus.
- The offender’s name and full details of the breach will be recorded.
- The offender will be carried to school or to their normal drop-off.
- The breach will be reported to the bus co-ordinator.
- The bus co-ordinator will take disciplinary measures in accordance with the guidelines below.
In rare and exceptional circumstances – and only as a last resort – drivers are authorised to remove passengers from a bus. (Refer to Policy and Procedures for Contract School Bus Services in Rural and Regional Victoria, Section 8.3.)
Following the report of a relevant incident, the Bus Co-ordinator may take the disciplinary action below:
- First offence – verbal warning to student
- Second offence – written warning to parent/guardian
- Third offence – one week suspension of student from school bus travel
- Fourth offence – the student will not be allowed to travel on the school bus for the remainder of the year.