YEAR 9 PROGRAM OVERVIEW
Dromana College is pleased to offer an interesting, exciting and engaging Year 9 program in 2017. Our program focuses on catering for each individual student, rather than providing a general curriculum for all; ensuring each student is able to maximise their learning potential.
The Year 9 program at Dromana College allows students to choose a total of 8 different electives across the course of the year. The electives are arranged in six main subject areas and students should aim to choose broadly from each of these areas. This will enable students to form a more personalised learning pathway to lead them into their senior school years.
All students in Year 9 study English and Mathematics (in single gender classes), Pastoral Care, Health and Physical Education, Humanities and Science.
Year 9 Program Sample:
|Core Subjects||Art / Technology Elective||Additional Electives|
|1||English||Maths||Pastoral Care||Science||Humanities||Art Elective||Elective 1||Elective 3||Elective 5|
|2||Health & PE||Technology Elective||Elective 2||Elective 4||Elective 6|
Conditions and Selection Guidelines:
Students are required to adhere to the following conditions when choosing their workshops:
- All students will participate in 8 electives across the year (4 per semester), however are required to initially choose more than 8 so they have “back up” choices.
- Students should aim to pick subjects that will interest and challenge them, not just those that they think their friends will choose!
- The 6 additional electives must be from 3 different Domain areas to ensure balance across the subject areas when choosing electives.
- Some additional electives, such as Languages, Cycling and Tipoff, run for the whole year and are therefore worth two elective choices.
- All students are to complete their online selection of workshops by Wednesday 1 August 2018.